Thursday, November 10, 2016

Geocoding/ Model building fun

The main components of this weeks lab were utilizing the geocoding and network analyst tools. Geocoding is the process of transforming a description of a location, such as a name or address, to a location on a map. We used this application in the real-world scenario of geocoding addresses and mapping EMS locations within a certain county. We then used the network analyst tool to find the most optimal route based on stops made. Also, I became familiar with the ArcMap ModelBuilder, which is a visual programming language that is capable of manipulating models. This is a reminder that ArcGIS is not only about maps.

I find myself trying to follow the instructions too closely and I get hung up on small steps which makes these assignments take extra long. However, I will say that the video tutorials are quite helpful. Another thing is, the file I downloaded from TIGER somehow was not correct. And of course caused my points to not match up to my base map. After re-downloading a new "Edges" file, from the TIGER website, my points matched up and worked correctly.

Here I have included an image of my map, displaying EMS stations of Lake County, FL and an optimal route from one station to another, while passing through a third station.

No comments:

Post a Comment